Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Perfect attendant for my vacation / One day trip bag

I have been on a long vacation so I couldn't update this blog for a while. How have you been everyone? I hope all of you are having a great Summer (or Winter). We spent a week in North Carolina with my family in laws. We had great days by the ocean. Then, as soon as we came back home, my daughter and I left for Japan to spend about a month with my family and friends. We've been a week in Japan and we are having fun with my family so far. I have tons of things and photos to show and tell you here. But before that, I would like to show a bag I made for myself right before I left for this long vacation. I named it One day trip bag.


I have been wanting to make a travel bag which I can take when I fly to Japan or other countries. I wanted something capacious which is also able to be carried on a plane. I made this bag wider than general totes and the height is shorter. The gusset is also wide so I can store a lot of stuff Nina will need (like snacks, drawing supplies and a set of changing clothes just in case!). The shape is designed especially to fit in under an airplane seat (of course I mean an economy seat) and easy to pull out when I need it. Also I thought of making it open wide to find things inside at a glance.


I added a zipper closure for the opening. So I don't need to worry that stuff will come off when the bag goes through the X ray machine. I made the straps longer for hanging from shoulders. The Yo-yoes on the pull tab and a handle are nice accents.


There is a pocket for my cell phone on the back. This kind of wide and sewn-on handles hold the body firmly.


The exterior fabric is sand beige medium heavy cotton canvas. The interior is cheerful  printed cotton canvas.

There is a couple of simple pockets inside. I wanted some more customized pockets but I didn't have enough time for them. I use some small pouches and a small tote for dividing contents in the bag.



I have been using this bag all the time through this trip. Now I know that it is very functional, durable and appropriate for its use. I like this bag very much. I think this will be good for people need to carry lots of things to work or school everyday. I am thinking to make some more for my Etsy shop for this Fall and Winter. (My shop is currently on vacation mode.)

I am going to post about my trip in Japan. My schedule is pretty much tight so I am not sure how much time I can make for writing. I would like to write about hunting good materials in Japan. (I already got some jewelry making supplies.)

I hope you are having a good week and I will be so glad if I could hear from you sometime. Thank you for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Adorable bag ! So practical yet so lovely!

    So nice to be able to go back to Japan for vacation. I hope your enjoy as much as you can!

    Well, just can't wait for your next post .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see your photo's and hear about your trip. I bought some fabric for you while thrifting the other day (thought it would make beautiful bags).
    xo
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're having a wonderful vacation in Japan, Hiromi! So nice that your daughter will grow up bilingual and understanding both cultures. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

    ReplyDelete