Thursday, December 30, 2010

Crewel Embroidered Flowers

I would like to introduce this crewel embroidery cushion cover I made many years ago for the front cover of a Japanese lifestyle magazine.


According to Wiki, "Crewel Embroidery, or Crewelwork, is a decorative form of surface embroidery using wool and a variety of different embroidery stitches to follow a design outline applied to the fabric." Usually wool yarns are used for Crewel work, but I used general cotton floss instead. Because the issue of the magazine was for Spring and Summer, so I wanted to give fresh and cool feeling to the pillow.


I used many kinds of stitches and techniques on this piece for expressing delicate detail of flowers. The colors of the embroidery design were inspired by the silk plaid fabric which I used for the frame. I used many colors and they are all from kinda same tone group. I like smokey pastel colors a lot.



This cushion cover is now listed on my Etsy shop. And there are more detail pictures in my Flickr pool. Thank you for reading and I hope you all have a happy new year.

5 comments:

  1. Truly stunning:) Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is really amazing! I looked at the photos of the cushion to see all details.

    Happy New Year and I am looking forward to seeing more beautiful crafts that you create next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year, PortulaKa!
    I am looking forward to seeing your creation too! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful interpretation of English crewel. Six strands of cotton embroidery floss instead of wool and a coarse linen ground. The thick outlines have a more delicate look, but just as much visual impact as densely filled areas. Lovely design, beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete