Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Three more bags for Holiday Art Walk

I prepared three more bags which have a little taste of Japan for Holiday Art Walk. These are all made in the past, and now I changed something for improving their practicability.

This bag is made with vintage Kimono fabric. It has beautiful chrysanthemum pattern. I added some seed beads to enhance its brilliance. The pattern is so traditional but also looks very modern.

I made this bag for my book which has published in Japan years ago. (The book is no longer printed unfortunately.) This time I altered the size and made an additional pouch that fits in the bag perfectly. The pouch can be used by itself, too. I used another vintage Kimono silk for the lining of the pouch. (You can see the picture of it on my flickr pool.) It has pretty rose pattern.

 Beads work gives a three-dimensional effect.


You have seen this ribbon embroidery? Yes. I changed this tote I made before into a frame purse.

 The lining is cotton fabric which has a Japanese traditional pattern "Sei-Gai-Ha". It means "Blue Ocean Waves". There are pockets for a cellphone and pens.


This one below is a pochette. The embroidery is a combination of Mirror work and Beads work. I represented fireworks in the Summer night sky. This was also made for the book I mentioned.

I am so glad I've conserved them in good condition. Eventually I got a chance to show them in public now. I have never thought these bags I made for my books would be shown in the gallery in America when I made them. I have never expected living in the foreign country myself. That makes me think that Life is so thrilling that it is more fun.

I hope people will be interested in Japanese textiles like Kimono and Sashiko through my work.

There are more pictures in my Flickr pool of these bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment