Monday, May 24, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival / My Old Ribbon Embroidered Quilt

This week Amy of Amy's Creative Side is hosting "Bloggers Quilt Festival".


There are so many wonderful quilts you can get inspired by. And I am having fun to read the story of each quilt. Please check out my old ribbon embroidered quilt and many others.

I am participating to this Festival with this wall hanging quilt. This is about 13years old. I think this one could be called my first quilt. I made many small quilted things before this quilt. Something like purses, granny bags, mini quilts or appliqued wall hangings. But this one was the first decent sized (33"×36") quilt. I made this for my first exhibition as a handcraft designer in Tokyo. At that time, in Japan, the silk ribbon embroidery was very popular among people who like to do needlework. Many books about ribbon embroidery are published.  I remember I made many Victorian style things for Japanese craft magazines at that time. Right now I am a big fan of fresh modern style, but in my early thirtieth I loved the Victorian style needle works and elaborate techniques. So I decided to feature this quilt in the exhibition and worked very hard to make it pretty.


There are two reasons why I picked this quilt to show you on this occasion. One of them is that I realized many people are interested in my ribbon embroidered buttons through the "May Giveaway Day". I think this quilt would be a very good sample of using ribbon embroidery for quilts. Or you just can enjoy it as a sampler of ribbon embroidery.


Another reason is that this quilt reminds me how ambitious I was to show the aesthetic of craftsmanship when I started my career as a designer. This quilt always reminds me pleasure of creating beautiful things.


When I made this Quilt I have never thought I would have a daughter in my future . Now this quilt is perfect for decorating  my daughter's room. I am glad I made this and brought this over seas.


Embellished with beads and buttons.




I love this flower print which I used for the border and backing. I wish I still could find same thing somewhere.


I hope you enjoy this event and have a good week!



25 comments:

  1. That is BEAUTIFUL! I'll bet it took you forever! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt. You did an excellent job.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! My mom just took a class on stitching like that, so I know how much time is involved in this project. Wonderful work! Thanks for Sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful quilt!!! Good work!!!
    Heppy Festival!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! Incredible workmanship. It's absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The work put in that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! You are a true artist. I am inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your embroidery is gorgeous. Having done some myself I know that must have taken you a long time to create.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with the other commenters: WOW!!! Such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is AMAZING ...i've never seen anything quite like it. i'm curious to see what your other work is like ... http://erinlebeau.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! I love a mix of different types of needle work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really incredible! -Sina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for your sweet comments! I am so glad I picked this one to show for this occasion. I think my efforts paid off with your praises.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing work of art...all those tiny stitches. This will be a treasured heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow that must of been a lot of work. I love it. I have a wedding album that the top has the ribbon flowers and embroidery. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is gorgeous and so intricate

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just stunning. Great job and you must be proud of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You created a fantastic work of art
    to be treasured!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much everyone! Your comments encouraged me a lot! I am glad I didn't miss this opportunity to show you my creation. I hope all of you sometimes will stop by and leave comments here again. And I would like to say thank you to Amy of "Amy's Creative Side" for her hard work for hosting this festival.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That embroidery is outstanding. Your daughter will really treasure this.

    ReplyDelete